The main functions of the reference and information service system are the direct service of library users in the «request-response» mode.
The service of information consumers is carried out on the basis of a widely-spread reference and bibliographic apparatus, an important part of which is the 37,000 reference and bibliographic fund including domestic and foreign encyclopedias in all fields of knowledge, general, branch and thematic reference books and dictionaries, publications of the national bibliography (Book chronicle, Chronicle of journal articles, chronicle of newspaper articles, etc.) and the bodies of scientific and technical information (Abstract journal and analytical collections of the STISI), bibliographic manuals of ISISS RAS, UISTI, bibliographic indexes, abstract journals.
Electronic data carriers on CD-Rom are becoming increasingly widespread: dictionaries, encyclopedias, electronic abstract journals. To satisfy information requests of consumers, the system of own generation DB is used:
1) Electronic catalog of the library
2) Electronic thematic files
2.1. On priority directions of science development in Kazakhstan
2.2. Current events of the Republic of Kazakhstan
3) Electronic databases of thematic exhibitions of the library.
The main areas of work of the reference service are:
- Execution of bibliographic requests using traditional and electronic resources,
- Advising on the use of bibliographic manuals,
- Work on the formation of the fund.
The following types of services are provided in the Reference and Information Hall:
a) Reference and information services:
- Performance of bibliographic references (oral and written);
- Compilation of thematic lists of literature for research and development;
- Consulting on the method of conducting an independent bibliographic search;
- Provision of scientific information to the scientific institutions.
- Printing of documents from CD-Rom and USB-devices of users;
- Photocopying of user documents;
- Scanning of materials (documents).
Exhibition of new receipts
Exhibitions of new receipts are an operative form of visual propaganda of primary documents entering the library fund. The exhibition is updated weekly. Literature is differentiated according to the types of publications; it is located according to the branches of knowledge. Visitors of the exhibition have the opportunity to order photocopies of articles, to apply for a literature after transfer to the book depository.
Our address is 28, Shevchenko Street, Almaty
Phone: +7 (727) 261-84-31